Indonesian Rendang Curry
A great rendang recipe to try !
* 1 whole chicken, cut into small to medium-size pieces (OR the equivalent of beef)
* 1/2 can good-quality coconut milk
* 2 Tbsp. fresh finely chopped lemongrass (can also be purchased frozen at Asian food stores)
* 1 onion, peeled and quartered
* 4 cloves garlic
* 1 thumb-size piece galangal (or ginger)
* 1-3 red chillies, depending on how hot you like your curry (de-seeded if less heat is desired) OR substitute chili sauce
* 3/4 Tbsp. tamarind paste
* 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
* 2 tsp. dark soy sauce
* 4 Tbsp. fish sauce
* 1/2 tsp. turmeric
* 1 heaping Tbsp. ground coriander
* 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
* 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
* 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
* 1/4 tsp. cloves
* 1 tsp. shrimp paste (available by the jar at Asian food stores) OR substitute 1 Tbsp. more fish sauce
* 2 whole star anise (use the Asian one, available at Asian food stores)
* GARNISH (optional):
* fresh coriander leaves
* dry shredded coconut
1. Place all sauce ingredients - except whole star anise - in a food processor. Process well to form a thick curry paste or sauce. If you don't have a food processor, simply chop onion and herbs finely and combine with the coconut milk, spices, and other ingredients. These herbs and spices can also be ground together with a pestle & mortar.
2. Do a taste test for salt and spice, adding more fish sauce if not salty enough. If not spicy enough, add more fresh chili, or chili sauce. If too sour, add a little more brown sugar.
3. Place sauce in a wok or large, deep-sided frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken (or beef) pieces, plus the whole star anise, and stir well.
4. Continue stirring occasionally as you bring the curry to a boil. Then reduce heat to a simmer. Do not cover the wok/frying pan, as you want the sauce to reduce and become thicker.
5. Allow the rendang curry to simmer (stirring occasionally) for up to one hour, or until meat is cooked and tender. The sauce will reduce, so that it is almost like a coating on the rendang meat (plus there will be a little sauce leftover in the wok/pan).
6. Serve rendang directly from the wok/pan, or place the rendang curry on a serving plate (with any extra sauce poured over). Garnish with a sprinkling of shredded coconut and fresh coriander. The rendang recipe is ready..enjoy it !